This course demonstrates effective VMware Integration with the Data Protector application. It is designed for Data Protector Administrators who are responsible for protecting their VMware environment, or anyone wanting to implement and learn about the advanced and multifaceted VMware integration capabilities of Data Protector. These capabilities include the back up of: a Virtual Machine (VM), a vAPP with many VMs, or an entire VMware Data Center. This course is based on DP 10.x and it is pluggable for DP 10.10 and 10.20 version training.
Participants learn the advantages to performing full, optimized full, incremental and differential backups using Change Block Tracking (CBT). In addition, participants learn how the Granular Recovery Extension (GRE) is used to recover single files using either the staged non-cached method or the cached with StoreOnce and Smart Cache devices. The DP Advanced Web Plug-in allows easy single file recovery and is explained in detail. During the lab the student performs cached and non-cached single file recovery. The ZDB VMware integration allows you to back up a large number of VMs with nearly no performance issues.
During the labs, students brings back their virtual machines using Power On and Live Migrate using a StoreOnce.
A qui s'adresse cette formation
The course is designed for Data Protector/Windows/Network administrators who are responsible for VMware backup and Recovery within their environment.
To be successful in this course, you should have the following prerequisites or knowledge:
- Completion of Data Protector 9.0x or 10.0x Essentials course or equivalent working knowledge
- Basic knowledge of VMware
Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Explain Change Block Tracking
- Explain SAN (FC or iSCSI) Transport
- Restore a virtual machine but keeping the original machine for forensics
- Perform a restore of a VM using Power ON
- Perform a restore of a VM using Live Migrate
- Perform a single file recovery using GRE, cached and non-cached
- Explain Zero Downtime Backup which offloads backup I/O from ESX hosts
- Module 1 : Introduction and Overview
- Module 2 : What’s New
- Module 3 : VMWare Basics
- Module 4 : VMware Technologies Used by Data Protector
- Module 5 : VEAgent
- Module 6 : ZDB Power On and Live Migrate
- Module 7 : Data Protector Granular Recovery Extension (GRE)
- Module 8 : ZDB Integration for VMware
- Module 9 : Miscellaneous